How to stream over an iPhone 4S
The iPhone will act as a mobile hotspot, providing a Wi-Fi connection for the miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER®
What you need: miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER® + iPhone 4S + CISCO Wi-fi Stick (comes with every miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER®)
Before you can start with your iPhone, you need to tell the miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER® the right credentials to get connected to the personal hotspot of the iPhone 4S. This information will be edited in the repository service (https://my.minicaster.com) and stored locally on the connected miniCASTER. Once you have stored it on the miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER®, you can activate this profile anytime.
The steps to do:
- 1. On your iPhone: Go to settings – general
- 2. and click on “personal hotspot” activate the personal hotspot by moving the slider to “on”
- Remember the name “iPhone 4S Michael Westphal” (in your case your iPhones shows name) and Wi-Fi Password listed here – you will need it to store it on your miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER®.
Once this is done, plug in the Cisco Linksys 1000 Wi-Fi Stick in the USB port as shown below:
- Connect your miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER® to the internet – over LAN. Start the miniCASTER and wait until all services are up and running. Start the my.miniCASTER.com repository service. Choose the wanted and connected miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER®.
- Go to “manage profiles”. Go to “WLAN” profiles. Choose from drop down “temporary WLAN Profile”. Click on “show” on the very right. A drop down window appears.
- DHCP: yes
- ESS-ID: the name of you iPhone (here: iPhone 4S Michael Westphal)
- Wireless Mode: managed
- Security Mode: Auto
- Encryption Method: Auto
- WLAN key: the Wi-Fi password, the iPhone is suggesting
- Click on “save custom changes” and wait some 20 seconds – the new profile is now transferred to your miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER®
- Choosing the right WLAN profile on the miniCASTER®/nanoCASTER® device
- Press the “M” button once
- Press the > button 3 x times. until “select WLAN profile” is shown
- Press the” return” button”
- Press the > or < button until “temporary WLAN profile appears”
- Press return
You now have selected the right profile
The Wi-Fi Stick will blink until it found the iPhone hotspot. If the connection is established the iPhone will show “Personal Hotspot: 1 connection” on the very top of the screen.
- Select the wanted output profile and confirm by clicking “Return”
Note: do not expect your iPhone to stream with high bandwiths. On the paper it is capable to stream with HSUPA speed (up to 5,76 Mbit/s), but due to environmental conditions expect much lower speeds – it really depends.